Van Oord Innovation Challenge
Van Oord Innovation Challenge
This year, as Van Oord celebrates its 150th anniversary, we’re recalling the past and looking forward to the future. We’ll be marking this important milestone around the world with several events that pay homage to the past and embrace the future. One of the events is a dedicated Van Oord Innovation Challenge.
This Innovation Challenge is all about startups active in marine infrastructure and offshore energy projects. Towards a more sustainable future, the need for enhanced coastal protection and sustainable energy is on the rise. Van Oord takes an active stance in the energy transition, in order to meet the growing demand and enable a decent quality of life for people living in coastal regions and beyond.
Based on our vision, mission, and innovation approach we have formulated the following Main Challenge:
- When carrying out marine infrastructure and energy projects, how can Van Oord create added value on sustainable and affordable energy (Sustainable Development Goal -SDG 7 and combat climate change (SDG13)?
- How can Van Oord use its equipment, Engineering and Estimating tools to create added value on innovation and sustainable infrastructure (SDG 9)?
We have listed several themes/ambitions:
1. Make our societal added value obvious.
2. Make smarter use of raw materials (circular; think about materials such as sand, silt, steel).
3. Accelerate the transition to generating less CO2 during our operations (use renewables, reduce emissions, increase biodiversity, use space more efficiently).
4. Make smarter use of digitalisation and data (e.g., to improve energy management on board vessels).
5. New concepts of energy storage and transport of energy.
How will this unfold?
The marine industry must play a crucial role in powering progress. That’s why we are looking for innovations and new technologies that are effective, profitable, and globally scalable. These solutions should address the challenges in climate change and energy transition. Who dares to contribute to this; are you a scale-up, start-up, or early-stager that wants to contribute to a sustainable future? Then you’re just the organisation we are looking for!
Van Oord strongly beliefs in cooperation when aiming for new technologies and innovations that tackle the challenges in climate change and empower the progress in energy transition. We aim to select ten teams/startups to work towards a solution that will be pitched in November 2018.
What’s in it for you?
- Professional support from Van Oord for setting up a mature business case for your proposal.
- Assistance in preparing a mind blowing pitch for the business case at an international conference in Rotterdam (Netherlands).
- Two winning teams will work with Van Oord in 2019 on their proposed solutions.
- Exclusive coaching from Van Oord experts during 2019.
- Access to Van Oord’s global network.
Your solution should be: (see notes defining the challenge in Dutch)
- Accelerating the energy transition.
- Providing – game changing - solutions for climate change / climate adaptation.
- Globally deployable by Van Oord within the next 2 year.
Registration is no longer possible
Signing up for the Van Oord Challenge is unfortunately no longer possible. The selection of the ten start-ups is in full swing. Together with Van Oord they work on their ideas and we guide them with professional coaching. We’ll announce the two winners in November.