As Cost Estimator you draw up an economically and technically sound cost budget for tenders. You advise UK Area Management on this subject by presenting a complete tender that can lead to the award of a project. You don't just perform the calculations for projects, you really understand what is going on in the field and advise the tender team, based on your specialism, on the most cost-efficient design.
- You take the responsibility for the analysis and processing of data taken from tender documents further to site visits you make, applying your own knowledge and to create at a complete cost budget.
- You liaise with relevant competence centers the Head Office in the Rotterdam (such as the Rock Desk and the Production Engineers) as well as Operations and Ship Management in order to generate an accurate and sound cost budget.
- You advise Area Management on the feasibility of projects based on cost budgets, risk analyses and studies, to arrive at the right decision regarding the submission of a tender, either during the negotiation phase, when deciding on the development of a new area of work (pioneering), during kick-off meetings or at project evaluation sessions.
- You participate actively in study groups, with the aim of acquiring and expanding the company's knowledge in relevant specialist fields that may be significant to the estimating process, in order to develop more accurate and efficient estimating methods and risk analyses.
Making multidisciplinary budgets for often complex projects is your passion. As a person, you are immune to stress and have the ability to work methodically, but above all you are a team player. To be away from home regularly to travel around the UK, Ireland and to Van Oord’s offices in the Netherlands (Rotterdam and Gorinchem) will not be a problem. In addition, you have:
- a higher professional degree in Civil Engineering / Marine Construction or equivalent;
- a minimum of 5 years of working experience as cost estimator or 10 years of experience in project engineering or planning and costing;
- fluent in both spoken and written English with English not necessarily being the 1st language;
- experience in marine construction environment with a combination of dredging, coastal protection and marine outfall projects would be advantageous but is not essential;
- preferably experience in Tender Management / preparation;
- current residency in the UK.
A challenging job based in Small Dole (close to Brighton, UK) where we appreciate your sharp eye and build on your expertise every day. You get a lot of responsibility and a special opportunity to work on leading projects. Furthermore, you also get:
- Excellent secondary employment conditions;
- Plenty of space (and training budget) to develop professionally and personally, also internationally, so that you can continue to grow in your role;
- A salary that suits your experience and responsibilities.
About Van Oord
Van Oord is a leading global contractor in dredging, hydraulic engineering and offshore projects (oil, gas and wind). We are an innovative partner for our clients and have been contributing to the infrastructure of tomorrow's world for over a hundred years. Our people are committed, enterprising professionals with a passion for water and technology.
Do you want to be a part of Van Oord?
Apply online for the position of Cost Estimator UK by using the button below! If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me for more information or other career opportunities at Van Oord.
Do you like to know more about and want to stay informed of other vacancies within Van Oord? Climb aboard and follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Vimeo and Facebook!
Acquisition for this vacancy is not appreciated.
+31 (0)88 826 8202