As Cost Estimator you draw up an economically and technically sound cost budget for tenders and advise UK Area Management on this subject in line with relevant ‘Internal Management Office Instructions’ to be able to present a complete tender that can lead to the award of a project. You don't just perform the calculations for projects, you really understand what is going on in the field and advise the tender team, based on your specialism, on the most cost-efficient design.
The following four main tasks are your responsibility:
1. You take the responsibility for the analysis and processing of data taken from tender documents further to site visits you make, applying your own knowledge and, in consultation with Area Management / the Tender Coordinator, taking into account the 'Internal Management Office Instructions' and relevant contract conditions, to arrive at a complete cost budget.
2. You review cost budgets prepared by estimators within the Rotterdam and Gorinchem based Estimating Teams, taking into account the 'Internal Management Office Instructions', and points out and records project-specific risks and opportunities, to generate an accurate and sound cost budget.
3. You advise Area Management on the feasibility of projects based on cost budgets, risk analyses and studies, to arrive at the right decision regarding the submission of a tender, either during the negotiation phase, when deciding on the development of a new area of work (pioneering), during kick-off meetings or at project evaluation sessions. Furthermore, you provide ongoing support where required to projects in execution.
4. You participate actively in study groups, with the aim of pooling knowledge and expanding the company's knowledge in relevant specialist fields that may be significant to the estimating process, in order to develop more accurate and efficient estimating methods and risk analyses that will in turn ensure that (project) managers are kept well informed and enabled to manage more effectively.
Making multidisciplinary budgets for often complex projects is your passion. As a person, you are immune to stress and have to ability to work methodically, but above all you are a team player. That you are willing to be away from home regularly to travel around the UK, Ireland and to Van Oord’s offices in the Netherlands (Rotterdam and Gorinchem) will not be a problem. In addition, you have:
- a Higher professional degree or equivalent;
- a minimum of 5 years of working experience as cost estimator;
- good command of spoken and written English. Knowledge of spoken and written Dutch would be advantageous but is not essential;
- preferably experience with a combination of dredging, coastal protection and marine outfall projects;
- preferably experience in Tender Management / preparation.
A challenging job based in Small Dole (Brighton, UK) where we appreciate your sharp eye and build on your expertise every day. You get a lot of responsibility and a special opportunity to work on leading projects. Furthermore, you also get:
- Excellent secondary employment conditions;
- Plenty of space (and training budget) to develop professionally and personally, also internationally, so that you can continue to grow in your role;
- A salary that suits your experience and responsibilities.
Do you want to be a part of Van Oord?
Van Oord is a leading global contractor in dredging, hydraulic engineering and offshore projects (oil, gas and wind). We are an innovative partner for our clients and have been contributing to the infrastructure of tomorrow's world for over a hundred years. Our people are committed, enterprising professionals with a passion for water and technology.
+31 (0)88 826 7231